The Animal Brain

The Animal Brain

Because of the context of how our caveman’s brains have grown over the last few millennia. You want to be aware that humans are constantly focusing on survival.

Here is something funny but worth saying to yourself when you want more confidence. Confidence, is about feeling safe and secure.

Say this to yourself if you want more confidence, “there are no tigers nearby.” Say it right now, “there are no tigers nearby.”

Look there are no tigers sitting in the corner of the room. Nothing is about to attack you and kill you in this moment. There are no tigers in this room. This room is completely safe. Being on the phone talking to the person you’re about to have a conversation with, you are safe. If you feel safe before you connect with a client it’ll transform your communication.

As humans we’re constantly looking to satisfy our basic needs of safety, food, and reproduction. As long as you have those three things covered, you’ll actually be far more confident. And the rest
is just an internal game that you’re constantly battling.

Remember, the emotions you’re communicating from are also the emotions you’re hitting within somebody else. If you’re wanting to hit empathy, connection, and trust. How are you conveying
trust and empathy? How are you communicating?

This is why it’s very important to record your conversations to allow you to review these for insights. Behavior Sales provides you with this conversation insights and feedback to help you improve
your sales conversations. Most sales people never get access to this type of data and as a result repeat the same bad habits in their sales approach. Learn more at behavior.so/insights

I’m Safe Body Language

When you meet somebody you can flash your eyebrows. By flashing your eyebrows your subconsciously communicating to our animal brains “I’m safe, I’m friendly.” Because you’re opening yourself up. It’s a subtle little thing. And next time you go out and people approach, flash your eyebrows. And notice if you get the body language sign returned, most of the time, it’s a subconscious thing. It’s an unconscious thing that we can’t control.

Start to do this instinctively, most men will do the head tilt to other men as they approach. It’s this indicator of “I see you, as your determine if this person is a threat or not.”

With body language you’ll become aware of the emotions you can trigger in others. You can make people feel sad, you can make people feel happy, you can make people feel strong and confident. And as a result, make better buying decisions. Influence and persuasion is not about fancy words or scripts. It’s not about what you say, it’s about how you say it. That’s why it’s critical to understand you non-verbal communication and how it’s impacting your conversations.

Remember, you’ve got environment, you’ve got time, you’ve got appearance, and you’ve financial and social. And those factors combine to create a “gut feeling.” And the gut feeling that you’re communicating and the gut feeling that people receive. It’s these gut feelings can make or break a lot of deals.

Non-verbal Communication Disclaimer

Nonverbal behaviors are like a movie consistently changing and communicating.

You want to become a change detector. You’re understanding the context of what caused the change. And that’s what you’re looking for. Because you might have read something online like if I’m crossing my arms, that person’s saying no and they’re not interested. No, they might be just cold or they might be just bored to tears. They might just be comfortable. I actually cross my arms and feel comfortable when I’m sitting down. Context is important and many people focus on the tactic rather than the context.

Context helps you to create a person’s baseline. Then all you need to do is become aware of the changes in the baseline and the context as to what caused the change.

• When do I open up?
  • What do I do when I open up?
  • What are my other reactions?

And that’s what you’re looking for. You’re trying to get people to change their state to support your objective.

Body language and verbal communication is not a static thing. A lot of people look at body language as though it’s a static thing when it’s dynamic. It’s constantly changing. Your body language at work could be totally different from your body language at home, at church, when you’re in Starbucks when you’re in front of a pretty girl, or when you’re in front of a pretty guy, it doesn’t really matter.

The thing is, the context of change and what’s happening around that person with those five factors I mentioned before: environment, time, appearance, financial, and social. And how that’s impacting a person.

Don’t always approach somebody as you’ve read them once.

Therefore, they’re going to be the same that time. Personality type if different but remember you have a primary and secondary personality type based on the context. You don’t know what happening in their world right now. They could have just got a phone call where someone died, someone’s sick, they could have just won a million dollars, you don’t know.

Always process each conversation as new and fresh. You’re constantly reading people to check in what’s going on with them right now. Where they’re at and what are the changes that are going
on. By doing this you’ll make your influence and persuasion deeper.

There is a hidden language. A hidden communication with absolutely everything we do, our body is communicating our true intent at all times. And your ability to these communication signs tell you

• if somebody is confident,
  • if they’re insecure,
  • if they’re trying to feel strong
  • if they’re being arrogant,
  • if they’re close-minded,
  • if they’re ready to leave,
  • or who’s most superior in the room,
  • to those lacking confidence.

If you’re using Zoom or video conferencing for your sales conversations, you’ll notice these behaviors like this all the time.

Back to People Ignorant Book Index

Click here to go back to the Lesson Index

Share Your Insights Below

Please post your comments and ideas below. The more you share your ideas and the insights you learned from this book, the faster you will master it.