Framing Conversations

Framing Conversations

The objections or hurdles you experience in sales conversations are a reflection of your own internal beliefs, doubts and awareness. You could have a price objection for example, based on your current financial situation. You may have quality objections, because of something you heard or experienced from your product. You’re unconsciously communicating that objection in the world subconsciously into your communication. As a result, what’s coming back to you is a price objection. A price hurdle. A quality hurdle.

When we analyze your sales conversations using the Behavior Sales Behavioral Intelligence platform. You’ll gain insights based on the emotional impact on the words you’re speaking as part of your sales script. You’ll also understand how your body language is subconsciously impacting your sales conversations. Learn more at BehaviorSales.com

Your body is always consciously and subconsciously communicating it’s true intention without a filter.

Each objection you experience allows you to become aware of your current mental state. You’ll find that everything you’re focusing on and personally dealing with or struggling with is actually getting communicated. You’re consciously and subconsciously communicating these thoughts. And it’s coming back at you in the conversations your leads are having with you.

How you frame the context of a conversation that you’re having it will significantly impact your mental and physical state.

For example “when you think these people are fantastic. They’ll love the product. And clearly see the results they’re going to experience.” Using this conversation frame you’ll instantly change your body language, thoughts and emotion. Your world reflects your thoughts like a mirror.

This is called pre-framing and framing the context of the conversation.

If you frame the context of your conversation correctly you can also influence the body language you’re using. Therefore, sidestep all these objections you’ve been experiencing. I’m not saying side-
step them in a way of not answering objections or dealing with them. But you’ll find out that a lot of the objections are built on your current mental state. We really want to be aware of what you’re unconsciously sending.

How to assess mental state?

You can assess someone’s current mental state by paying attention to the details. Here are several categories you can use to assess the mental state of yourself and someone you’re communi-
cating with.

1. Environment,
  2. Time,
  3. Appearance,
  4. Social,
  5. Financial.

When I say environment, when you’re talking to somebody, I want you to pay attention to these factors. Next time you’re on a call with somebody, pay attention to what they’re saying. What I mean is the words they are using. Pay attention to the adjectives used.

Write these down as you’ll use later. Pay attention to the direction of their language: are they using words that are past or future focused. Pay attention to what’s currently happening in their environment. Pay attention to the sounds, or decor in their environment.

Everybody and everything is trying to tell you a story all the time.

For example, if you’re following a car and it’s got all these bumper stickers on it. Or maybe it’s got those balls hanging from the back of it. What’s the story that person is trying to tell you? See the image below as an example, what’s this person telling you?

2022-10-03_15-42-56

The car with bumper stickers example:

Look at all the stickers and details on this car. There’s even three things hanging from the rearview mirror. One of those being large fluffy dice, what’s the story that alone tells? But if we continue to assess the number plate supports a university sports team, with multiple stickers on the rear glass panel.

Send your interpretation of the story this car is telling you to help@behaviorsales.com

The car with bulls hanging from it:

Are they trying to tell you that they’re big and strong? Or they’re not gonna take shit from anybody. And their cars got balls, or they’ve got all these wrestling stickers or they got gun stickers, or they got political stickers or they got, I’m a vegan or whatever it is. What’s the story they’re trying to tell you?

Most of us will look at stuff and process it unconsciously. We’re not aware of the belief that it creates within us. The reality is, there’s a lot of context that we consciously ignore. If you can start
opening your eyes and become aware of your surroundings. You’ll start to discover everything is trying to tell you a story.

One of the things you want to look at when you’re talking to
somebody is their environment.

• What’s in it?
    • Are there pictures?
    • Certificates?
  • What’s the state of cleanliness?

If you jump on a Zoom call, this is fantastic with Zoom and other video conferencing tools because you can see their state.

• Do they have a clean wall behind them?
  • Is their bed a mess?

You’ll be amazed how many people I’ve spoken with from their bedroom on zoom. Their beds are messy, and it doesn’t look like their bed has been made in a month. They’ve got crap all around
the room and over the floor. When you see this how do you feel?

You’ll gain insights into their mental space based on their physical environment. Can you determine their personality type based on their environment? Yes, you can if you pay attention to the details. Which is fantastic for connecting with people quickly. Inside environment you can apply the time variable. For example what’s the environment like based on the time of day, or the time of the
month.

• What’s the seasonality?
  • How is the time impacting that person’s mental state?
  • Are they happy?
  • Are they sad?
  • Are they angry or frustrated?

Has it been a week or month since they have seen the sun or been outside?

What are the time pressures created by their environment? Is there outside noises, kids, parents, dogs? Whatever that is influencing somebody else’s behavior. And therefore, it creates this gut feeling resonance that they’re either having and they’re processing and therefore they’re going to be dealing with it. Because it’s lunchtime, they’re hungry.

You’ll be amazed how many things can happen faster when people are hungry. They want to get the door or they’re trying to blow things off. Because they’ve got an ulterior human motivation or need that they’re actually trying to take care of.

What can you interpret from a person’s physical appearance?. You want to be aware of how you look to others. You want to always try and be professional. You want to be clean. The cleaner you are the better it is for your own mental state. Your appearance impacts how you feel, and how you feel is subconsciously communicated.

For example have you every felt your teeth and thought I need to brush you teeth? Most people right now would subconsciously become aware of how fuzzy your teeth feel right now as you read this. You’ll be amazed at how small things eat away at your own self-confidence.

If you look like a bum off the street, you’ll be treated like a bum off the street.

With social, you want to be thinking about, “Can I make other people interesting quickly?”

How can you get interested in these people?

How can you make the person you’re speaking with interesting to you? Because the faster you can actually connect and really feel interested in what they’re saying. You will find that the conversation becomes far more authentic.

At Behavior Sales we can measure this authenticity as part of the Sales Insights solution. We can measure if you’re authentically communicating. Your authenticity impacts your ability to influ-
ence and your clout scores determine your ability to inspire and create rapport.

If you can cut through noise and captivate focus and really find the person you’re talking with interesting. You’ll be amazed at the quality relationship that can be created. Ask quality questions that
are meaningful and authentically connect with them; you’ll be far more effective in your conversations.
One of the things you really want to be aware of is what’s your financial state?

What are the things that are like aching and annoying you? You can also learn alot from other people based on their financial state. For example the car they’re driving, the clothes they’re wearing. Are they wearing a shirt that says Harvard or Columbia or Yale? What could this tell you about their education status?

For example, when I go out, I will always put on my nice watch. It’s a Rado watch, which is a high-quality brand. I wear my wedding ring on unless I’ve been out on the water. You’ll notice the days I
ride because I wear my bike safety band since I’m a road cyclist. If you pay attention to this detail you can understand what’s important to me. The world of sports can be expensive. Therefore understanding where a person spends their money helps you understand motivations.

The thing is, you can identify certain things about me rather than being off-screen. There’s a whole lot of things that you can assess about me based on what I’m wearing. Remember this is always context driven and context is important. If I’m usually in shorts and a shirt, why am I in a suit today?

If you’re ever in a legal battle and you’ve got to go to court. You’ve got a jury of your peers, it’s quite possible that you’ll get asked to wear glasses, even though they may not have prescription lenses
in them. You’ll get asked to wear glasses because you’ll actually be perceived to be smarter and a “nerd” and less likely to be the person that of the crime you’re getting accused of.

These are just some of the ways that persona’s are used to influence others on a daily basis. Everything you wear and do is connected to a belief that a person has. Your objective is to get the
positive beliefs applied to you to enhance your influence.

Remember people are communicating something all the time.

They’re trying to tell a story.

Their lips may be saying one thing but their body is doing something else and as a result, you want to be aware of that. You want to be aware of where you’re speaking from because it’s where you’re speaking to.

Back to People Ignorant Book Index

Click here to go back to the Lesson Index

Share Your Insights Below

Please post your comments and ideas below. The more you share your ideas and the insights you learned from this book, the faster you will master it.