Dove - Harmony - Steadiness | Supportive (S type)
People with the Dove personality type tend to be calm, patient, and respectful in their interactions with others. Rarely angered or excited, they are likely to work to maintain a peaceful and harmonious environment.
The Dove personality type traits
Doves are likely to demonstrate conscientiousness through listening patiently when responding to the needs and requests of others. Respectfully considering the thoughts and feelings of others, they are likely able to respond empathetically in difficult or stressful situations.
In summary, Dove’s personality traits include…
• Listen patiently to the needs and requests of others.
• Work considerately and cooperatively with others.
• Be uncomfortable around aggressive or hostile people.
• Avoid overly competitive situations.
• Take direction from a leader they trust.
Every personality archetype has strengths and blind spots, and these are often amplified in professional settings where we often encounter a diverse group of people with vastly different backgrounds and value systems.
Dove personality strengths
• Following up by checking back on a regular basis and being available to help.
• Responding to questions with patience and understanding.
• Asking for feedback at regular intervals.
• Being attentive to the needs and concerns of other people.
Dove personality weaknesses
• Not being direct when communicating negative information.
• Being too passive when assertiveness is necessary.
• Avoiding confrontation and not giving feedback to others who may need it.
• Delaying decisions involving interpersonal conflict.
Dove personality growth opportunities
• Making an effort to directly share feedback with others when there’s an issue that needs to be addressed.
• Practicing empathetic communication during times of conflict, remembering that problems cannot be resolved without a mutual understanding of the issue.
• Learning to take charge of situations, when necessary; and making sure people know they’re in charge by intentionally asserting themselves in the decision-making process.
• Trying to make a plan on how they can adapt when a change occurs unexpectedly.
Dove personality type careers & work
Doves tend to thrive in predictable, calm, collaborative environments. They enjoy consistent, stable work that involves engaging with others. Doves can help more analytical, reserved people understand the importance of communicating effectively with others and building strong, working relationships. When working with another Dove-type, it is important that they openly communicate problems so they can effectively work toward a solution.
Tend to work well with others who…
• Take the time to get to know them.
• Have a warm and welcoming demeanor.
• Avoid being overly critical or nit-picky.
• May hit obstacles in professional relationships when they…
• Allow small problems to grow before addressing them.
• Neglect to give important feedback to others.
• Take constructive criticism too personally.
Feel energized at work when…
• They are asked to help others with projects.
• Their boss builds a relationship with them over time.
• Their peers verbally appreciate the contributions they make to the team.
• Their direct reports value their guidance.
Feel drained at work when…
• They feel like they have nothing to offer the group.
• Their boss is ungrateful for the work they do.
• Their peers reject their help.
• Their direct reports prioritize working efficiently and autonomously.
Doves thrive in positions where they are able to attend to the needs of others, build long-term trust, and have lots of daily interaction. They work most effectively when they can make plans for the future and stick to their routine most of the time.
Commonly the best Dove profile job roles
The best jobs for Dove personalities are roles that allow them to work in a routine and interact with other people on a regular basis.
• Human Resources Manager
• Human Resources Director
• Executive Assistant
• Customer Success
• Customer Support
• Physician Assistant
• Nurse Practitioner
• Dental Hygienist
Use a calm, agreeable, warm tone and be very considerate of their feelings, asking questions to understand where they may have concerns or thoughts.
Meetings should have a prepared agenda and be done in person or through a video call.
Email communication tips
Emails should be warm, sincere, and expressive. They should provide clear information while allowing for casual conversation.
Feedback should be thoughtfully explained and delivered with empathy.
Conflict should be handled with caution and level-headedness to prevent it from escalating and leaving long-term impacts on the relationship.
When people experience pain, stress, or dissatisfaction, it can usually be attributed to energy-draining activities. Therefore, it’s important to know what kinds of activities energize each personality type and what activities drain them.
Dove Type Motivations
• Asking for feedback regularly.
• Playing a supporting role on the team and staying out of the spotlight.
• Responding to difficult situations with empathy and compassion.
• Promoting teamwork and cooperation between parties.
• Listening to questions from other people and responding thoughtfully.
Dove Type Stress
• Frequently working on a tight deadline.
• Making decisions on behalf of other people without much group input.
• Assigning tasks with major goals, rather than detailed instruction.
• Engaging in competition with others.
• Being in the spotlight or the center of attention.
Who do you know that is a Dove?
We all have personality traits that motivate and stress us. Now that you are aware of these for the Dove type, how can you be aware of them and use them in conversation?
What communication mistakes have you made in the past with a Dove?
Remember awareness is the fastest path to transformation. We have all made these communication mistakes and it’s now time to learn from them.
Back to People Ignorant Book Index
Click here to go back to the Lesson Index
Share Your Insights Below
Please post your comments and ideas below. The more you share your ideas and the insights you learned from this book, the faster you will master it.