Bird-Based Sales

BIRD-BASED SALES

Now that you know the four personality styles, let’s talk more about how you need to alter your sales conversations based on the bird you’re talking with.

Detecting the type of bird you’re speaking with takes a little bit of practice. My only disclaimer is that personality is dynamic and not static. People can display different personality styles based on the context. Just because you completed a personality assessment and got a certain result does not mean that’s your personality for every situation. It is your job to detect the change and review what’s causing this change to occur.

Your success and opportunities with conversations are based on your ability to detect these changes.

Here is a quick glance table of the personality traits associated with each of the birds.

195x91
Liberty the Eagle - D Type

Decisive
Competitive
Daring
Direct
Innovative
Persistent
Adventurous
Problem Solver
Results Focus

109x92
Vegas the Peacock - I Type

Charming
Confident
Convincing
Enthusiastic
Inspiring
Optimistic
Persuasive
Sociable
Trusting

Harmony the Dove - S Type

Understanding
Friendly
Good Listener
Patient
Relaxed
Sincere
Stable
Steady

Team Player Brains the Owl - C type

Accurate
Precise
Analytical
Compliant
Courteous
Diplomatic
Detailed
Fact Finder
Objective

TIP: To remember the birds faster, think about the people you know and which bird describes them best. The more you can visualize people with these traits the easier it will be for you to detect these traits in the future.

It’s important that you are aware of your own personality style. Because your personality style could alienate other personality styles.

For example, after building my confidence, I thought when selling I needed to do all the talking. Therefore, I’d walk into a sales meeting and my Peacock would take over.

As a Peacock, I was expressive and enthusiastic, and I talked with my hands. I would walk away from a sales meeting having talked for an hour straight, feeling on top of the world, and as if the meeting could not have gone better.

Of course, this wasn’t true. I was alienating direct, to-the-point Eagle’s and Owl’s, while preferring fellow Peacocks and easy-going Dove. A sales meeting felt good when I got to talk the majority of the time and when I walked away with a new friend.

Sales Secret:

Talk less than your prospect. You can lead the conversation by controlling the agenda and direction of the conversation.

The Eagle “D” Salesperson

• The ‘Dominant’ personality
• Sales style: Confident, assertive, and abrupt.
• Prioritizes Results, the bottom line, and competency.
• Focuses on Action, by creating a sense of urgency.
• Leaves the customer feeling: Like they will get the job done.

The Peacock “I” Salesperson

• The ‘Influencer’ personality
• Sales style: Energetic, outgoing, personable, and fun.
• Prioritizes Building enthusiasm, getting the customer excited, and building a relationship.
• Focuses on Action, by inspiring the customer with their energy.
• Leaves the customer feeling: Energized to act.

The Dove “S” Salesperson

• The ‘Steady Relater’ personality
• Sales style: Even-tempered, accommodating, and agreeable.
• Prioritizes Sincerity, showing they care, and building relationships.
• Focuses on: Showcasing the dependability of their offering by patiently taking the customer through the details.
• Leaves the customer feeling: Like they connected with someone who truly cares.

The Owl “C” Salesperson

• The ‘Cautious & Analytical’ personality
• Sales style: Logical and methodical.
• Prioritizes Quality, using facts and data to back up their claims.
• Focuses on: Showcasing the dependability of their offering by demonstrating accuracy and competency.
• Leaves the customer feeling: Confident in the data and details.

Back to People Ignorant Book Index

Click here to go back to the Lesson Index

Share Your Insights Below

Please post your comments and ideas below. The more you share your ideas and the insights you learned from this book, the faster you will master it.